Soil profiles, as we know, vary considerably from one location or region to the next, depending on geology, hydrology and climate. Without knowing the exact quality of the soil, farmers use excessive and less effective blend of fertilizers which results in the deterioration of the soil. Hence, soil testing becomes an essential part of a fertility program and for profitable crop production.
Challenges in the Indian Soil testing Scenario:
- Approx. 1750 soil testing laboratories (STLs) throughout the country. In case, soil of each farm holding is to be tested, its turn would come at an interval of 10-12 years.
- Lack of voluntary participation of farmers in providing samples and receiving as well as implementing recommendations.
- The STL staff cannot reach the remote farmers.
- As a result, farmers seldom get soil test reports in time i.e., before sowing/planting of their crops, and continue to use fertilizers in ad hoc manner depending on their resources and availability of fertilizers in the market.
- Result: Deterioration of Soil Fertility
With the PUSA STFR, we hope to set up mini soil testing labs all over the country that will fill the long felt vacuum of a quantitative soil test kit to support the soil testing services and increase farmers’ access to soil testing, helping them to achieve higher yields owing to soil test based fertilizer application.
In association with Indian Agriculture Research Institute (IARI) we have brought out a programmable, portable, low-cost equipment, named PUSA Soil Test Fertilizer Recommendation Meter (STFR) Kit, that brings soil testing and fertilizer recommendation at farmers’ doorstep. This not only tests soil parameters but also gives crop-specific fertilizer recommendation and suggests ameliorants for problem soils.
Features of the Kit:
- Portable (Technically this point should be on the top)
- Battery backup upto 3 hours
- Printer interface type RS232
- Indicator for overcharging and Discharging
- Micro Controller based technology
- Memory for data storage of upto 999 Parameters
- Computer connectivity
- Wide LCD display
- Surge Protection
- SMS facility (Optional)
- Solar charging (Optional)
- Fertilizer recommendation upto 100 Crops
Tests available in STFR Meter Kit:
- Soil reaction (pH)
- Electrical Conductivity (EC)
- Organic Carbon
- Potassium (K)
- Phosphorous (P)
- Lime Requirement
- Available Nitrogen
- Sulphur (S)
- Zinc (Zn)
- Boron (B)
- Gypsum Requirement
Additionally, the meter also shows crop-specific fertilizer recommendations.
Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India has incorporated this kit as an Official Kit for preparing Soil Health Cards. The equipment can be used with the help of a manual provided in the kit. It can be used by village Panchayats, agri–input dealers and several self-help groups or NGOs working in village for soil testing purpose. It can be used by unemployed youth for soil testing business.
It is not out of place to mention here that our product will have:
- Consistency in quality as we maintain strict quality control
- Consistency in supplies as we adhere to strict delivery schedules
- Most competitive pricing
- Satisfactory after-sales-services